4:30 AM. Bummer! Oh well, it gave me time to blog. I have entered the Write
a Novel in 30 Days Contest. So far – so good. Today is Day 3 and I am on schedule. I did not have time to blog yesterday. When I am pressed for time, I may recycle some of my best blogs.
I am writing a historical novel based on the Books of Maccabees from the Old
Testament. Last year, I wrote a crime novel that morphed into a romance novel. I did not finish it. It is about a couple falling in love and looking for a long-term relationship. They are
looking for qualities that make for a good partner. Not all qualities need to be compatible. There are some qualities that at least one partner must possess for a happy relationship.
One of the partners in a couple must:
1. Be a good cook. Many things like beauty and sex are short term, but a couple must eat for a lifetime. Going out to eat can be expensive. In a happy marriage, one partner must like to cook. It also helps if they are a good cook.
2. Not be afraid of spiders. Can you imagine a relationship where both people are afraid of spiders? Whom would they call?
3. Have a good sense of direction. They will save countless hours from being lost and driving in circles. It will also cut down on the number of arguments.
4. Have sharp senses. One partner must be able to smell, taste, hear, and see very well. One partner does not need all of these senses, but between two people all senses need to be included. One partner must smell gas odors, bad food, and dirty diapers. One partner must be able to read the fine print, read road signs, and see small slivers. One partner must hear bad mufflers, babies crying, and the alarm clock. I could go on but you get the picture.
5. Be a good speller. One person in the relation must have good spelling and grammar. It will save them from many embarrassing mistakes.
6. Be good with numbers and math. That partner will handle the checkbook and budget.
7. Have a good memory for names of relatives and important dates. That partner will keep track of all the birthdays and anniversaries as well as who is married to whom.
8. Be handy around the house, a DIY type of person. Two helpless people will be at the mercy of contractors and repairpersons.
9. Have patience. Two impatient people will drive each other nuts.
10. Have a good sense of color coordination. They will also prevent embarrassing situations in fashion and decorating.