Let’s face it, the war on drugs was a failure. We ended up with thousands of people in prison and hardly a dent in drug trafficking. The real solution is simple – if you can’t beat them, join them. Stop the war on drugs and get with the program. The US government should get into the drug business. I propose that the government buy drugs and sell them. I don’t mean buy drug from #South American cartels; I mean buy directly from the farmers in South America. This would cut out the middle men: cartels, smugglers, drug pushers, etc. By cutting out the middle men, the price of drugs should be very low, affordable and profitable. Drugs should be sold at special stores called… wait for it… “drug stores.” People would be able to purchase as much drugs as they want, provided they sign a waiver to forgo any medical treatment for drugs additions. We allow drugs like alcohol and tobacco, so why not allow all drugs?
Here’s the impact of that solution:
1. The price of illegal drugs would plummet.
2. The prison population will drop.
3. Many new and legal jobs will be created for tax paying citizens.
4. The number of people who over dose and die will increase and thereby reduce the number of hard core users.
5. The cartels, drug pushers, smugglers, etc. will be put out of business.
6. The government will collect the profits instead of the cartels.
7. This will free up money formerly used for the War on Drugs.
Drug problem solved.
AUTHOR’S NOTE: To the humorously challenged, this is a satire.