- Yes, both sides can lose and win (huh?). A jury has found both liable for defamation in their lawsuits but awarded significantly more damages to Johnny Depp. The jury awarded Johnny $10 million in compensatory damages and $5 million dollars in punitive damages. The jury awarded Amber $2 million in compensatory damages and no money for punitive damages. Bring in the clowns.
- You can still be sued for defamation even if you don’t name names. Amber wrote an article for The Washington Post in which she described herself as a victim of domestic abuse. Johnny wasn’t named in the article but claimed it cost him lucrative acting roles. Amber countersued, of course.
- You are not protected by the First Amendment (Freedom of Speech) if you write or speak falsely.
- Sometimes the Court of Public Opinion is louder that the legal courts (and maybe right). Amber was ridiculed cruelly on social media.
- Revenge is not reason enough to write an article aimed at getting even.
For e-books by me, visit http://smashwords.com/profile/view/monteranderson or Amazon.com. Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/monteranderson
Follow my blog at http://monteranderson-author.com or http://monteranderson.wordpress.com