I have some recommendations on how to improve the debate and gain more public interest (viewers/voters):
- Run the debates like an actual competitive event like March Madness. User a bracket like tennis does for Grand Slam Tournaments. Pit the highest rated candidate--based on polls—against the lowest and so on down the line. Run the debate like a real debate with a winner and loser each time. I think a double elimination tournament would work great. The debate could be judged by a panel of experts. Continue until there’s only one winner.
- Televise only one-on-one debates, maybe two or three per day.
- Limit the number of candidates to 16. That’s the number that fits nicely into a bracket.
- Spread the debates over several days.
- The final winner would be the Democratic nomination for President. Runner up could be the Vice President nomination.
This should make the debates more interesting. At least viewers/voters would have more knowledge about each candidate.