1. Unpaid parking tickets
2. Borrowing the wrong car (tickets for vehicle violations are issued to whoever is driving the car at the time.)
3. Possessing alcohol as a minor
4. Driving without insurance
5. Bounced or bad checks
6. Litter, overdue library books and more
7. Overdue student loans (Iowa and Montana, can suspend a person's driver's license for unpaid college loans)
8. Failure to pay child support (in Nebraska, people who don't make their alimony payments can also lose their license.)
9. Marijuana possession or drug offenses that occur off the road
10. Prostitution, public intoxication and more
11. Failure to appear in court
12. Fuel theft, piracy and a lot more (misuse of a handicap space; immigration or visa expiration; graffiti; defacing signs; flying while intoxicated.)
As usual in these type of lists, other ways to lose your driving privileges are omitted. Here are an additional ten ways to lose your driver’s license:
1. Shooting at the police. In spite of the Second Amendment, in most states, shooting at the police is grounds to lose your license.
2. Stealing a police vehicle. While this may be humorous, it is frowned upon by law enforcement. Don’t do it.
3. Running over people in a crosswalk. For us older folks who grew up with games like Frogger, the classic video arcade game, it’s hard to realize there are no points for running down a pedestrian in a crosswalk.
4. Trying to jump the gap on a draw bridge. I know it’s a challenge and to succeed would be tremendous, but the authorities could take your license if you do. If you fail, no one cares.
5. Stopping in the middle of the road to pick up road kill. If might be overlooked if you share.
6. Trying to see how far you can drive before running off the road with your eyes closed. I know we have all tried this, but law enforcement takes a dim view of this game.
7. Trimming your toe nails while driving. It’s best to have a passenger trim your nails while driving. Don’t attempt this by yourself.
8. Pretending to be a cop and pulling people over. This goes hand-in-hand with number 2 above.
9. Making breakfast while you drive. Better to just go to a burger joint.
10. Shooting squirrels from your car. I know, you have a right to have a weapon, but actually using it may be illegal. This may vary by state.
I’m sure you can think of other ways to lose your driving license. Tell me about them.
For e-books by me, visit http://smashwords.com/profile/view/monteranderson.
Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/monteranderson
Follow my blog at http://monteranderson-author.com or http://monteranderson.wordpress.com.