1. Do Your Homework
2. Practice, Practice, Practice
3. Approach Digital Differently (Skype interviews)
4. Look and Feel Your Best
5. Make a Fabulous Entrance
6. Demonstrate Confidence Beyond Body Language
7. Make a Fabulous Exit
As usual whenever writers make these lists, there are several tips omitted. As public service, I will provide those missing tips here;
1. Don’t talk about your fraternity or sorority. I have blogged about this before. If your fraternity or sorority hasn’t been in the news recently for some stupid stunt, it will be. Best not to mention it until after you’re hired.
2. Don’t mention your Facebook page unless you’ve sanitized it. The same goes for Twitter, Google+, YouTube, Instagram, and Tumblr. Remember that really funny video of a drunk you falling into a wedding cake? Yeah, your interviewer doesn’t need to know about it.
3. Don’t render the Nazi salute. The same goes for fancy handshakes like the hand jive, high fives and Boy Scouts/Cub Scouts/Girl Scouts secret handshakes.
4. Don’ mention how many people you slept with at your previous employer. The truth is… no one cares.
5. Don’t push on the pull door. As you approach a door, determine if it is a push or pull door and act accordingly. It’s a test of your intelligence.
6. Don’t wear your Superman/Supergirl T-shirt under your white shirt. The interviewer may not be a fan.
7. Do remember how to exit the building. This tip is similar to the push/pull door tip. People will notice if you exit the interview and then wander aimless around the building trying to get out; not a good impression.
8. Do use the restroom before your hours long interview. Asking permission to go pee is simply PPPP (Piss poor prior planning).
9. Do remember where you parked your car. You don’t want to hang around the parking lot looking lost.
10. Do wear pants/skirt during your Skype interview. I know that the camera shows only the torso, but accidents do happen.
If you remember these tips, you’ll be sure to land a job. God Luck.
For e-books by me, visit http://smashwords.com/profile/view/monteranderson.
Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/monteranderson
Follow my blog at http://monteranderson-author.com or http://monteranderson.wordpress.com