1. If the police would have arrested the man during the contest, one of their own might have won. Poor timing.
2. Why would a criminal enter a contest sponsored by the police as part of their National Night Out Against Crime? (Stupidity) Then, why would the same criminal go ahead and win the contest when there are police officers who are contestants? Poor judgment.
3. Paraphrasing the words of Captain Louis Renault (played by Claude Rains) in the movie, Casablanca, “I am shocked, shocked to find that that police eat donuts.”
4. It is hard to believe that a civilian out ate police officers who are professional donut eaters. Rumor has it that the police officers may have thrown the match to protect their image. No matter how you sugarcoat it, it seems like a police cover up.
5. It’s easy to believe that the police acted out of revenge or vindication for their humiliation for losing the donuts eating contest.
6. It’s unclear if the police identified the suspect by his powdered sugar fingerprints.
7. There is no truth to the rumor that the police said his defense is full of holes. Many believe he entered the contest just for the dough.
Bottom line – If you are a criminal, don’t enter a contest as part of the Police Night Out Against Crime.